Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Let it go... Let the pee pee flow

If you are a living, breathing, human being, you have probably heard of the song,  "Let It Go" from the movie,  Frozen.  The responsible thing for me to do here is provide a link to it. If you haven't heard of it, you are probably living under a rock and I will not subject you to getting it stuck in your head. Because once you hear it, you may be singing it at 3 am too.

Frankly, I do love the song. I enjoy belting it out and pretending I am back in my Musical Theatre heyday. Idina Menzel has nothing on me. I digress. 

My youngest, D, is potty training. He is 3 years and 4 months old.

This is not the first time we have attempted potty training. In fact, it may be the 5th time? 6th time? 1,000,000th time? Alas, this time, we stopped buying diapers. A week ago, on a Monday, we started. AGAIN. But this time, something clicked. He was getting it.

So, there my son sits on his tiny Elmo potty. His leg occasionally purposely hitting Elmo's hand and Elmo chirping various phrases "You're going potty!" "Yeah! Congratulations!" Over and over and over. (Why those batteries haven't run out through two kids is beyond me). And Elmo, you are a big furry LIAR because Elmo, nothing is going in the potty.

We have been sitting here FOREVER. I repeat "You can do it! Just let it out!", through a fake syrup smile. But in my head I am thinking: "you have had three cups of milk and juice, just mother f#%^^ PEE!"

Due to the fact the "Let It Go" song has been stuck in my head, I changed the lyrics a bit for the occasion. I start to sing and my five year old daughter excitedly chimes in:

"Let it go, Let it go,
Let the pee pee flow.
Here you sit
On the potty
Let the pee pee flllllllooooooooowwwwwwww
Potty training never bothered me anyway."

Lie. I hate potty training.

He eventually peed in the potty. He was getting it. Underwear and pull-ups were staying dry! Rewards were being eaten! Grandmothers were being called! Hallelujah! My sweet but very stubborn boy was finally being potty trained!
He makes it really difficult to get upset with him. 

Then, after 8 hours of success. He threw up. I felt so bad for him. He was so sick.

In my head, for a second, I thought, "Seriously? He's getting sick NOW? Why? We are potty training! Everything is supposed to come to a halt. My life, my son's life, my family's life, is supposed to stop. Potty training is the priority!"

I immediately felt guilty. Time to take a step back. Time to help my precious boy feel better. Time to let it go.

Over the next couple of days, he actually did pretty well. He was staying dry, for the most part, and peeing in the potty.  He was sleeping a lot and recovering, but despite that, he was getting it. I was cautiously optimistic. Then he began to feel better.

And he went back to his stubborn, ornery ways. So, now he is in pull-ups, going potty when he feels like it. And as frustrated as I am, I am letting it go. And we are taking a break. But come Thursday, mister, you better "Let It Go, let the pee pee flow". In the potty. PLEASE. In the potty.


No comments:

Post a Comment