Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Refresh

Sorry it has been a little while since I have posted. Not much has been happening lately. I have been using up leftovers, so I haven't made anything spectacular for dinner. I haven't felt overly motivated to be "Super Mom" and do new crafts and cooking....

Well, I guess I can talk about two things:

First, I finished reading Room by Emma Donahue which was the book selection for my book club in December. I didn't get a chance to read it then, because I had just given birth.  But I am kind of glad I waited. The story is about a young boy and his mom who are held captive in a room. I was worried it would be dark and heavy, but it was surprisingly hopeful and optimistic. The book is told from the point of view of a 5 year old boy. This viewpoint is new and refreshing. The author does a terrific job of seeing through the eyes of a child.  It took me a little while to get into the book and enter the brain of said 5 year old. However, once I did, I was able to see the "world" in a new way. There was a sense of innocence and hope that transcended through the boys' curiosity and ignorance of the outside world and all of its' possibilities. The mom has a lot of issues, understandably, to deal with. However, her character is both endearing and remote which lends to a very complex character. Overall I enjoyed the book. If you are looking for a new and refreshing read, I recommend Room.

Secondly, my husband enhanced our kitchen this weekend with a backsplash. We chose to use stainless steel tiles.



So, our targeted upgrades for the kitchen so far are: Corian countertops, stainless steel appliances, paint, new light fixture and the tiles. We will most likely end up painting our cabinets. Here's the question: do we extend the tiles around the kitchen or keep it as is?

1 comment:

  1. Your gourmet spaghetti this evening was just to die for ...

    ReplyDelete